1. Navigate to Admin Settings > User Types and create an API user type. Assign all the permissions you'd like this user type to have.
2. Create an API user account and assign it the API user type you just created.
Important note: It's strongly discouraged to use your personal FMX account credentials for automated access to the API. This is because your password and user permissions may change at any time and this could break your automation without warning. Also, secure password storage is difficult and you will increase the exposure of your password if it's stored unencrypted in a config file, code file, or script on your end. Instead, we recommend creating an FMX user account, with a long and secure password, that's dedicated solely to API access.
3. Navigate to your FMX API reference page found at https://<yourhostname>.gofmx.com/api/docs/index.
Important note: If you don't have access to your FMX API page, it's because you haven't purchased this feature. Please reach out to your Account Manager for pricing information.
4. FMX's REST API contains endpoints for the following:
The GET endpoints will allow you to read data from FMX in Power BI. Choose the endpoint(s) you'd like to use as a data source, define the parameters of your request, and click the Try it out! button to generate the request URL.
Example: Generating a GET API request for overdue maintenance requests
5. Launch the Power BI desktop application.
6. In the top panel, select Get Data and choose Web as the data source.
7. Choose the Basic option and past the API request URL you copied in Step. 4.
8. Choose Basic in the left-hand menu and type in the API user's email address under User name and the password under Password and click Connect.
9. From here, you're free to build your reports as you wish. If you're new to Power BI, please visit their resource center for best practices, tips, and other learning material.
To learn more about FMX's REST API, please review the resources linked below, contact your Account Manager, or reach out to our Customer Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.